About the Journal

The journal is published as one volume annually, and was first published in 1946 and 1947 as the Proceedings of the Annual Lower Rio Grande Valley Citrus Institute, and in 1948 as the Proceedings of the Annual Lower Rio Grande Valley Citrus and Vegetable Institute. There are no proceedings for 1949 since in that year the annual institute (annual meeting) was moved from December to January. In 1950 the journal became the Proceedings of the Annual Rio Grande Valley Horticultural Institute. In 1956 the name was changed to the Journal of the Rio Grande Valley Horticultural Society, and continued for 35 years until 1990. In 1991 the journal became the Subtropical Plant Science Journal and in 2013 changed to Subtropical Agriculture and Environments.

No issues were published in 1981 or 1993. The final hard copy of the journal was published as volume 56 in 2004, and on-line publication began with volume 57 in 2005. Again, there was no volume issued in 2014 as the society was in the process of changing its name again to reflect a wider spectrum.